NOT EXACTLY BORED AT HOME
HOW TO STAY SANE WHILE YOU'RE STAYING HOME...WITH KIDS
Anyone else having a hard time staying sane while staying home? Today marks the 1 millionth day (I've finally lost count) that we have been self-quarantining/social distancing/isolating from friends and family. It is the 2 millionth day that I have not left my children's side. To say I am on the verge of losing my mind is to put it very mildly.
Things that are really bugging me lately:
- The second that my husband retires to his office for the day, the kids turn into wild hyenas and are at each other's throats. They press all of each other's (and my!) buttons until I cave and turn on the TV (where, most of the time, the button-pressing continues in one way or another!)
- Neighbors/friends/families without small kids who are "bored" during this time. Newsflash: I don't want to hear about it.
- The weather. Come on, Mother Nature! Give us a break! A few rays of warm sunshine. If it rains (or god forbid snows) one more time, I might not recover.
Anyone else feeling these same issues? Or if not, what are your biggest pain points during this stressful time?
Despite it all, there are some things that are helping to stay sane at home for the time being. And they are:
- Good Jane Hello Mellow - I take 2 now most mornings where I used to only need 1, and it really does help keep the impatience at bay.
- TikTok - We have made a few TikToks as a family. It has taken up a good bit of time to learn the dances and that has been a good thing. It's also a good way to get the sillies out of the kids, bond as a family, and move your body. Don't judge it til ya try it.
- Hulu released the 6th season of Schitt's Creek early, and it's everything I hoped it would be. If you haven't watched this show yet, I'm jealous, and you should get on it immediately after your children go to bed tonight.
- Speaking of bedtime, we have been putting the kids to bed early (in bed by 7pm) so that we can have SOME time to relax. This has been such an essential component to staying sane during quarantine.
- Parking lot play dates - The other day we sat in the church parking lot in our car next to my friend and her two kids who are friends with my kids and got to see each other and talk for more than an hour. We will definitely be doing more of this.